Saturday, January 09, 2010

Winter

I love the cold, the snow... well in reason. If it's cold and there is no snow, I'll admit it, I get a little irritated. Last winter was miserable. It was the first winter up North after living in Virginia for 6 years. It was cold and wet, maybe 3 or 4 snow storms but mostly rain. I didn't have an electric blanket. gasp! I tell you, that thing is a lifesaver! No more getting in to bed shivering in the cold sheets... (Thanks mom!) This winter has been gorgeous. For the past week we have awoken to fresh powder. Everything is just so peaceful under a blanket of the white fluffy stuff. And so far I really don't mind shoveling, even though we bought a snow blower. It's a really huge John Deere and I just don't feel comfortable starting it yet. I'll get there I'm sure after the next couple snow falls.

The kids play in the snow just like my sister and I did. Bright red cheeks, freezing cold fingers and utterly exhausted but they keep building their snow tunnel. Nika loves the snow as well. She whips around the backyard like she was still a little puppy, helping the kids with digging their tunnels. Lily loves sledding. She is a little thrill seeker. She already loves fast rides at fairs and amusement parks. It will be just a matter of time before she is on-line to the biggest and fastest roller coaster. James on the other hand shares my sentiments of going fast, we just don't like the feeling of our stomachs jostling around. At two years old, he's not keen on sledding this year, he prefers to make snow angels and eat the snow. So cute!

I'm glad we are back up North because I really did miss this cold. But again, it's only been one and a half winters. Things could very well change in the next couple of weeks!

No comments: